Bill Allocates $40 Million To Combat Coronavirus In New York

first_imgShare:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window) MGN ImageALBANY – New York’s Senate and Assembly has voted to allocate $40 million toward fighting the Novel Coronavirus in New York State.New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said in a news conference Wednesday that there are six cases so far in the state.Since the outbreak, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration gave the state additional funding to conduct its own testing, but the Governor says he wanted $40 million allocated toward combating the virus.“I think first, as a piece of legislation, it was critical, these quarantines, when we say someone has to be quarantined or we have to set up a congregate quarantine facility, you need the legal authority to do that,” said Governor Cuomo. Cuomo says the federal funding allows the state to conduct 1,000 tests per day within the week.Not everyone in the state agrees though, Local Senator George Borrello says the legislation excessively expands the duties of the governor.Speaking to other lawmakers in the state capital, Borrello says the allocation is more like a “power grab” by Governor Cuomo.“While I fully supported the funding appropriation, I could not support handing the Governor the power to act unilaterally during any event he deems an ‘emergency.’ The bill would have given him sweeping and sole authority to suspend and alter any state or local law or rule and issue directives,” explained Borrello. “It unnecessarily added language to allow the Governor to declare a wide spectrum of events as ‘disasters’ – even blight — giving him ultimate authority.”Borrello says during his time as county executive, he had several crises arise that required quick action by the county legislature to approve emergency appropriations, not the executive office.“Those occasions were never used as opportunities to expand the power of the executive and diminish the role of lawmakers,” said Borrello. “Had I attempted such a move, my colleagues would have voted “no” and rightly so. Many of my fellow legislators in both the Senate and Assembly, and from both sides of the aisle, expressed serious concerns with the overreach in this bill. That is why I could not, in good conscious, vote in favor of this measure.”The U.S. outbreak began in January. Since then, six people have died from the disease; all of them were from Washington State.last_img read more

Wingin’ It: Blue Jays Win Buffalo Debut, Top Marlins In 10th

first_imgShare:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window) Image via @BlueJays / Twitter.BUFFALO — Bo Bichette, Travis Shaw and the wandering Toronto Blue Jays felt just fine in their new nest.In the first major league game in Buffalo since 1915, Shaw hit an RBI single with the bases loaded in the 10th inning as the Blue Jays settled into refitted Sahlen Field with a 5-4 win over the Miami Marlins on Tuesday night.“We’re still staying in a hotel, but it almost felt like the first game of the year. To go out and say, ‘All right, this is our spot,’ I think we did well,” said Bichette, who hit a three-run homer.Barred from playing in Toronto by the Canadian government over concerns about the coronavirus, the Blue Jays spent nearly three weeks on the road before moving into the ballpark of their Triple-A affiliate as their temporary home this year. And in the city famed for wings and beef on weck sandwiches, Toronto made it a tasty home opener. The downtown park, a couple blocks from Lake Erie and seating nearly 17,000, was empty because of the virus outbreak.“It’s definitely a little different,” Marlins manager Don Mattingly said.Francisco Cervelli’s three-run homer with two outs in the Miami ninth made it 4-all.Logan Forsythe then nearly put the Marlins ahead with a long drive in the 10th that originally was ruled a two-run homer, then reversed to a foul ball on review — the replay cameras were among the upgrades made at the park to get it up to big league standards.There had not been a major league game in Buffalo since Sept. 8, 1915, when the Blues swept a doubleheader from the Baltimore Terrapins at Federal League Park. Those teams were part of the short-lived Federal League.Baseball in Buffalo did get major play in the 1984 film “The Natural” starring Robert Redford. Playing Roy Hobbs for the New York Knights in the movie, the game action scenes took place in old War Memorial Stadium, the place that hosted football’s Bills and minor league ball.Shaw’s hit might not have had the same drama as Hobbs’ film-closing homer, but it produced the same result — a win.“We’ve lost a couple of games late, so it was nice to come back,” Shaw said. “My job was just to try to get the ball to the outfield, and thankfully with two strikes, I was able to do that.”Shaw’s hit with one out came off Stephen Tarpley (2-1).Bichette, one of many Blue Jays who played in Buffalo in the minors, homered in the sixth to give Toronto a 3-1 lead. Cavan Biggio added an RBI single in the seventh. A.J. Cole (1-0) got the win.Sahlen Field, opened in 1988, was the first in a movement of “retro” ballparks personified a year later by Baltimore’s Camden Yards. In the early 1990s, the stadium was a key piece of Buffalo’s push for a big league expansion team, but franchises were instead awarded to Miami and Denver.Built for the Triple-A Buffalo Bisons, an affiliate of the Blue Jays since 2013, the park is aesthetically the opposite of Toronto ’s futuristic Rogers Centre, the first retractable-roof stadium opened in 1989.Despite the differences between the two facilities, the Buffalo ballpark in the last two weeks was revamped to capture elements found less than 100 miles away in Toronto.Rogers Centre’s “in the action” seats behind home plate have been replicated and advertisements on the outfield walls are the same as found in Toronto. Those walls, which have been green for 32 years, are now blue, a color which now dominates much of the stadium, along with the omnipresent presence of the Blue Jays logo.One aspect went unchanged: the ballpark dimensions. It’s still 325 feet distance to the corners (though now designated with a maple leaf instead of a bison), 371 to left-center, 367 to right-center, and 404 to straightaway center field.Extensive renovations included a new infield, the home clubhouse being placed in the area where batting cages once existed, the visiting clubhouse being housed in a large temporary tent behind right-center field, and the Blue Jays’ weight room and practice batting cages taking up space in what is normally a public concourse. The work enabled the Blue Jays to occupy their familiar third base dugout, as in Toronto.“Nobody was complaining about anything,” manager Charlie Montoyo said. “The field was playable. Everything was fine.”Toronto starter Hyun Jin Ryu allowed two hits in six innings and struck out seven.Brian Anderson also homered for Miami. Starter Elieser Hernandez struck out five over 5 1/3 innings.Miami, too, has been no stranger to the road, spending the last three weeks away from home, including a quarantine spell in Philadelphia while combating a spate of coronavirus diagnoses.TRAINER’S ROOMMiami still has 19 players on the injured list, but has gone three straight days without a transaction. Toronto has three players on the IL: outfielder Derek Fisher, and pitchers Ken Giles and Trent Thornton.UP NEXTMarlins: Jordan Yamamoto (0-0, 9.00) will make his second start this season for Miami. He allowed four runs in his first start on Aug. 6 at Baltimore.Blue Jays: Nate Pearson (0-0, 2.70 ERA) will make his third career start when Toronto wraps up the two-game series against Miami. He has 10 strikeouts in as many innings.last_img read more

Rebecca Hall, Blythe Danner & Joe Manganiello Will Star in the Film Tumbledown

first_imgWhen it comes to playing a widow, Rebecca Hall is your gal! The Golden Globe nominee, who’s currently starring as a woman who’s been accused of murdering her husband in Broadway’s Machinal, will appear as another grieving widow (this one sounds like she’s actually grieving, BTW) in the film Tumbledown. Directed by Sean Menshaw, the rom-com will also feature Tony winner Blythe Danner, Joe Manganiello, Jason Sudeikis and Beau Bridges. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Tumbledown follows a young widow (Hall) who’s unable to move on after the death of her husband, an acclaimed singer and the subject of a biography she’s trying to write. She teams with a brash New York academic (Sudeikis) who forces her to confront her loss and the strange circumstances of her husband’s death. No word yet on how Danner, Manganiello and Bridges’ characters fit into the story. Machinal Star Files View Comments Related Shows Rebecca Hall Show Closed This production ended its run on March 2, 2014 Written by Desi Van Til, who was an associate producer on 13 Going 30 (yay!), Tumbledown is set to start production in late March in Massachusetts. Before she heads to The Bay State to start filming, you can catch Rebecca Hall in Roundabout’s revival of Sophie Treadwell’s Machinal, playing at the American Airlines Theatre.last_img read more

Glenn Close to Return to Broadway in Edward Albee’s A Delicate Balance?

first_img Related Shows A Delicate Balance Glenn Close View Comments Show Closed This production ended its run on Feb. 22, 2015 Star Files Three-time Tony winner Glenn Close previously hinted to Broadway.com about the possibility of returning to the Great White Way this fall and as we later reported she revealed that she was “not coming back in a musical” and instead would appear in a “very complex play.” Well now according to the New York Post we know what the play will be—Edward Albee’s A Delicate Balance.Albee’s classic was first seen on the Main Stem in 1966 and was later revived by Lincoln Center in 1996, starring Elaine Stritch. This 2014 production apparently has Tony nominee Simon McBurney on board to direct.A Delicate Balance would be the first time Close has been seen on the Main Stem in 17 years. The six-time Oscar nominee got her start on Broadway, and won the Tony for her roles in Sunset Boulevard, The Real Thing and Death and the Maiden. Her film and TV roles include Dangerous Liaisons, Air Force One, Fatal Attraction and Damages.last_img read more

Forbidden Broadway Will Transfer to London’s West End

first_img Christina Bianco, who has played in Forbidden Broadway: Goes to Rehab in New York, will join the cast. The YouTube star’s recent video of “Let It Go” has received over 5 million views. The Chocolate Factory cast transferring with the show includes Anna-Jane Casey, Damian Humbley and Ben Lewis. Under the direction of Phillip George, who also helmed the show in New York, Forbidden Broadway will feature music direction by Joel Fram, design by Morgan Large, lighting design by Nick Richings and sound design by Gareth Owen. Following an acclaimed run at London’s Menier Chocolate Factory, Gerard Alessandrini’s Forbidden Broadway will transfer to the West End. The show will play a limited engagement at the Vaudeville Theatre from September 9 through November 22. Opening night is set for September 15. View Comments This updated version of Forbidden Broadway features takes on productions from both Broadway and the West End, including The Book of Mormon, Once, Matilda, Wicked and Miss Saigon.last_img read more

John Doyle to Direct Workshop of B’way-Bound August Rush Musical

first_imgJohn Doyle Tony winner John Doyle will direct an industry workshop of August Rush, a Broadway-bound musical adaptation of the 2007 film. As previously reported, the tuner features a book and lyrics by Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark’s Glen Berger and a score by Grammy winner Mark Mancina, who also composed the movie’s music. The cast of the closed-door workshop will include Tony nominees Terrence Mann and Isabel Keating, as well as Alexander Gemignani. It is set to take place on December 9 and 10.August Rush follows a musically gifted orphan who runs away from his New York foster home in search of his birth parents. On his journey, he’s taken under the wing of a street maestro named Wizard (a role created on film by Robin Williams), who discovers his musical genius, names him “August Rush,” and devises a plan to profit from his talent. All the while, unbeknownst to August, his parents are searching for him too. The film includes the Oscar-nominated song “Raise It Up” by Mancina.In addition to Mann, Keating and Gemignani, the cast of the December workshop will include Ethan Kusidman, Joe Carroll, Sydney Shepherd, Mark Jacoby, Deandre Sevon, Will Connolly, Grace Capeless, Lisa Helmi Johanson, Brandon Ellie, Lulu Fall, Nkrumah Gatling, Nathan Koci, Shaina Taub and Elisa Winter. View Commentslast_img read more

Imelda Staunton-led Gypsy Will Transfer to the West End

first_img Gypsy, featuring a book by Arthur Laurents, music by Jule Styne and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, tells the story of how Rose Hovick (or Mama Rose, as she is best known) inadvertently helps to turn her daughter, Louise, into the burlesque star Gypsy Rose Lee. It last played the London stage in 1973, starring Angela Lansbury as the ultimate stage mother. The Chichester production began performances on October 6 and concluded its run on November 8. While additional casting for the West End engagement has not yet been announced, the previous mounting also featured Lara Pulver as Louise and Kevin Whately as Herbie. Here she is, boys! As speculated, the Chichester Festival Theatre production of Gypsy, starring two-time Olivier Award winner Imelda Staunton, will transfer to the West End. According to the Daily Mail, the Jonathan Kent-helmed production will begin performances on March 30, 2015 at the Savoy Theatre, where it will play through November 28. View Comments Staunton last appeared in the West End in Sweeney Todd. She won Olivier Awards for Into the Woods and The Corn is Green. Her many screen credits include Up the Garden Path, the Harry Potter series and Vera Drake, for which she earned an Oscar nomination.last_img read more

Judy Kuhn & More of the Off-Broadway Cast Set for Great White Way’s Fun Home

first_imgTony nominee Judy Kuhn and the off-Broadway company of the 2013 hit Fun Home will join the previously announced Michael Cerveris in moving with the property to the Great White Way. There’s more good news: Jeanine Tesori and Lisa Kron’s new musical will now begin previews earlier, on March 27, 2015 and officially open on April 19. View Comments Based on the graphic novel by Alison Bechdel, Fun Home charts a girl’s quest to come to terms with her father’s unexpected death. As she moves between past and present, Alison dives into the story of her volatile, brilliant father and relives her unique childhood at her family’s funeral home. In addition to Cerveris and Kuhn. Fun Home Cerveris and Kuhn will reprise their roles of Bruce Bechdel and Helen, respectively. Other members of the off-Broadway cast to reprise their roles in the Great White Way incarnation include Roberta Colindrez as Joan, Sydney Lucas as Small Alison, Beth Malone as Alison, Joel Perez as Roy and Emily Skeggs as Medium Alison. Zell Morrow and Oscar Williams will join the production as Alison’s brothers John and Christian, respectively. Show Closed This production ended its run on Sept. 10, 2016 Related Showslast_img read more

Adult Only Productions Set for Off-Broadway

first_img View Comments Off-Broadway’s getting seXXXy. A trio of adult only shows will appear at the Minetta Lane Theatre as part of Company XIV’s 2015-2016 season. Conceived, directed and choreographed by Austin McCormick, Cinderella will make its world premiere, along with a revival of their previous Nutcracker Rouge and the world premiere of Snow White.Cinderella will run September 22 through November 15 and officially open on September 30. Based on the baroque fairy tale by Charles Perrault, the cast includes Hilly Bodin, Katrina Cunningham, Lea Helle, Jakob Karr, Nicholas Katen, Malik Kitchen, Mark Osmundsen, Davon Rainey, Marcy Richardson, Steven Trumon Gray, Allison Ulrich and Brett Umlauf. Costumes will be by Zane Pihlstrom, with lighting by Jeanette Yew, sound by Austin McCormick and makeup by Sarah Cimino.Nutcracker Rouge is set to play November 24 through January 17 and will officially open on December 2. The show is an immersive erotic reimagining of the nutcracker tale and will be followed by the world premiere of Snow White. The latter production will run from January 26 through March 12, with opening night set for February 3. Cast and design teams for both productions will be announced later.last_img read more

King Kong Musical Taps Jason Robert Brown & Marsha Norman

first_img View Comments Broadway.com has confirmed that the duo that brought you The Bridges of Madison County has been enlisted for mega-musical monster thriller King Kong! Tony winners Jason Robert Brown and Marsha Norman have boarded the long-in-the-works production, which made its world premiere in Melbourne, Australia in June 2013. The show is being revamped before it lands on the Great White Way.Brown will work on the score along with the original composer of the project, Marius de Vries. Pulitzer winner Norman will pen both the book and lyrics, replacing Craig Lucas. Meanwhile, after a flirtation with Tony winner John Rando, Eric Schaeffer (Follies, Gigi) has been brought in to direct. Daniel Kramer was at the helm for the Australian incarnation.No word yet on when King Kong will stomp on Broadway, but a developmental reading will take place next month in the Big Apple.Set against the backdrop of bustling New York City in the 1930s, the show tells the story of the infamous ape and his encounter with aspiring actress Ann Darrow, megalomaniac filmmaker Carl Denham, stubborn first mate Jack Driscoll and the people of NYC.The show’s score previously consisted of revamped 1930s Broadway songs as well as new and existing numbers from artists like Sarah McLachlan, Robert Del Naja, Justice, Guy Garvey and The Avalanches. last_img read more