WikiLeaks appeals for help as attacks are stepped up

first_img December 6, 2010 – Updated on January 25, 2016 WikiLeaks appeals for help as attacks are stepped up Organisation As the whistle-blowing website WikiLeaks comes under mounting cyber-attacks and as hosting companies continue to withdraw their services, it is appealing to its supporters around the world to create mirror sites.“WikiLeaks is currently under heavy attack,” the site said in a message posted yesterday. “In order to make it impossible to ever fully remove WikiLeaks from the Internet, we need your help. If you have a Unix-based server which is hosting a website on the Internet and you want to give WikiLeaks some of your hosting resources, you can help!”The procedure to follow is detailed at this page: http://wikileaks.ch/mass-mirror.html- Set up an account where WikiLeaks can upload files using RSYNC+SSH (preferred) or FTP- Put the WikiLeaks SSH key in this server or create an FTP account- Create a virtual host in your web server, which, for example, can be wikileaks.yourdomain.com,send the IP address of your server to WikiLeaks, and the path where WikiLeaks should upload the content (by filling in a form on this page).WikiLeaks adds that it will take care of all the rest, sending pages to your server and updating them each time data is released.A mirror site is an exact copy of the original site, offering the same information and the same files. Mirror sites are created in order to distribute the bandwidth load and facilitate large numbers of simultaneous downloads. It eases the load on the server hosting the main site by distributing it around the mirror sites.According to the latest reports, WikiLeaks is accessible at www.wikileaks.ch, a Swiss website address operated by the Swiss Pirate Party, a political group that estimates that it is getting 3,000 visits a second. Hundreds of mirror sites have already been created.The White House meanwhile issued a directive on 3 December forbidding unauthorized federal employees from accessing classified documents available on WikiLeaks. The Library of Congress responded a few hours later by blocking access to WikiLeaks from its computers. “Each federal employee and contractor is obligated to protect classified information,” the directive from the White House Office of Management and Budget said, stressing that the fact that documents had been leaked did not mean they had been declassified.The same day, the U.S. military posted the following message on NIPRNet, the Internet network used by its troops in Iraq: “Department of Defence military, civilian and contractor personnel should not access the WikiLeaks website to view or download the publicized classified information.” With Internet users throughout the world now able to access these documents, Reporters Without Borders regards these directives as a violation of the right to information.In another blow to WikiLeaks, the United States-based payment service PayPal has cut off its account, claiming that it has violated a PayPal policy “which states that our payment service cannot be used for any activities that encourage, promote, facilitate or instruct others to engage in illegal activity.”The founder of WikiLeaks, Julian Assange, could be arrested this week in Britain for alleged sexual assault, the London-based daily The Times has reported, quoting police sources. If arrested, if would be on the basis of a new international warrant that has just been issued in Sweden, prosecutors in Stockholm said on 3 DecemberOne of Assange’s lawyers told Reporters Without Borders on 4 December that it would normally take ten days for the British police to receive and act on an international warrant after its issue, “unless Mr. Assange is treated differently,” he added. In an online chat on the El País website, Assange said he had received hundreds of death threats, targeting not only himself but also his lawyers and children. RSF_en center_img News Help by sharing this informationlast_img read more

Short term measures introduced to ease Letterkenny General overcrowding

first_img By News Highland – January 13, 2014 Google+ Previous articleAstronaut Chris Hadfield talks of his delight at visiting DonegalNext articleFianna Fail confirm that they will not be supporting budget, Council to collapse for first time in its 118 year history News Highland Twitter WhatsApp Three factors driving Donegal housing market – Robinson NPHET ‘positive’ on easing restrictions – Donnelly LUH system challenged by however, work to reduce risk to patients ongoing – Dr Hamilton In an effort to ease overcrowding at Letterkenny General, patients from the south of the county are being diverted to Sligo General Hospital while GPs have been asked ‘treat people in the community.’This morning, the hospital had 27 people over its bed complement, many of them on trolleys, and some on chairs.The Management’s measures to ease the over-crowding were revealed to the INMO during a meeting with management this morning.Spokesperson Maura Hickey says that while they welcome the short term measures, the problem remains that Letterkenny General does not have enough staff to match demand:[podcast]http://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/mauraCROWD.mp3[/podcast] News WhatsApp RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHORcenter_img Google+ Facebook Calls for maternity restrictions to be lifted at LUH Short term measures introduced to ease Letterkenny General overcrowding Pinterest Facebook Twitter Pinterest Guidelines for reopening of hospitality sector published Almost 10,000 appointments cancelled in Saolta Hospital Group this weeklast_img read more

Most child-abuse victims are babies under a year old

first_imgNZ Herald 13 January 2015The majority of children admitted to the Starship hospital as the result of suspected abuse or neglect are under 1 year old.Figures provided to the Herald under the Official Information Act reveal three children died at the hospital and 130 suspected abuse cases were referred to police between July 1, 2013, and June 30 last year, compared with one death and 122 referrals in 2012/13.The median age of the children admitted for abuse – or neglect-related injuries was just 5 months.Starship hospital child protection team leader Dr Patrick Kelly said head injuries were the most common in children admitted with injuries caused by suspected abuse.“About 20 per cent of these children have other fractures as well, especially rib fractures.“Outpatients – usually brought in by CYF [Child, Youth and Family] or the police – are usually older children who present with soft-tissue injuries: black eyes, bruising, patterned marks from being slapped or struck with an object.”Dr Kelly said the perpetrator of the abuse was “very variable”.“Like most centres, our anecdotal experience is that male offenders are more common than female offenders, and non-biologically related males – ‘stepfathers’ – are disproportionately represented,” he said.“However, with very young infants the offender sometimes cannot be reliably identified, and in very young infants the mother can often be the offender, particularly if there are issues like postnatal depression.”The missing link? Marriage!http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11385415last_img read more