Government censors Al Jazeera again, this time seizing tapes of interview with prince

first_img JordanMiddle East – North Africa June 15, 2020 Find out more August 12, 2020 Find out more Follow the news on Jordan News Reporters Without Borders today condemned the confiscation by the Jordanian authorities of the videotapes of an interview by the pan-Arab satellite TV station Al-Jazeera with King Abdallah’s uncle, Prince Hassan Bin Talal. The tapes were seized from Al-Jazeera journalist Ghassan Ben Jeddou at Amman airport after he interviewed the prince on 18 April.“Such abusive practices, which we keep on seeing in Jordan, show that press freedom is accorded little importance,” Reporters Without Borders said. “The work of journalists is often hampered by arbitrary decisions. King Abdallah has repeatedly promised to defend civil rights, especially through his ‘Jordan First’ programme for promoting development and social cohesion. We call on him to keep his promises, as individual freedoms are still often violated in his country.”Al Jazeera’s Beirut bureau chief and the presenter of a Saturday programme called “Open Dialogue,” Ben Jeddou went to Amman specially to interview Prince Hassan about Middle Eastern issues. The prince talked about US policies in the region, sectarian conflicts and the peace initiative discussed at the most recent Arab League summit. All of the videotapes and photos of the interview were taken from Ben Jeddou when he returned to the airport after the interview.He told Reporters Without Borders that the tapes were seized because he referred in the interview to a US report mentioning a Saudi official’s involvement in financing Sunnis to fight Hezbollah. There was a reference to the report in an article by Seymour M. Hersh in The New Yorker on 5 March.Jordanian government spokesman Nasser Judeh confirmed the confiscation of the videotapes without giving any explanation. Ben Jeddou said the authorities told him that some of the things said in the interview could affect Jordan’s diplomatic relations with Saudi Arabia. Prince Hassan was reportedly not told in advance that the videotapes would be seized. His press spokesman said the prince gave the interview as a “private citizen” and that his comments were “neutral.”This is not the first time Al-Jazeera has had problems in Jordan. Amman bureau chief Yasser Abu Hilala was briefly detained on 8 June 2006 as he interviewed the brother-in-law of Abu Musab Al-Zarkawi, the leader of Al-Qaeda’s Iraqi branch. He was unable to continue the interview. Jordan bans coverage of teachers’ protests RSF_en to go further News Help by sharing this information center_img April 24, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Government censors Al Jazeera again, this time seizing tapes of interview with prince Receive email alerts Coronavirus “information heroes” – journalism that saves lives News Two Jordanian TV journalists arrested after broadcasting criticism of lockdown April 14, 2020 Find out more News JordanMiddle East – North Africa Organisation last_img read more

Met Eireann stats confirm December in Donegal was very wet, windy and warm

first_img Previous articleHassan calls for clarity on H2 siteNext articleEnterprise Ireland hopes to build on 2015’s increase in supported jobs News Highland Further drop in people receiving PUP in Donegal 75 positive cases of Covid confirmed in North Google+ Twitter Pinterest Malin Head recorded its wettest day in December for any month for 60 years.According to Met Eireann 80.7 mm of rain fell at its station in Donegal on the 5th of December, the highest single day figure since 1955.Malin Head reported its wettest December since 1885 with 273.0 mm well above the long term average of 235.0 mm.It was a mild month, the Highest air temperature recorded at Malin head was : 16.0°C on 17th., the highest recorded December temperature recorded their since 1955.December in Donegal last year was 1.7 degrees warmer overall compared to the long term average.It was windy too – Four days reported storm force winds with three named winter storms occurring; Storm Desmond (4th and 5th), Storm Eva (23rd), Storm Frank (29th and 30th). Homepage BannerNews Met Eireann stats confirm December in Donegal was very wet, windy and warm RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WhatsApp By News Highland – January 5, 2016 center_img Facebook WhatsApp Twitter Google+ Gardai continue to investigate Kilmacrennan fire 365 additional cases of Covid-19 in Republic Main Evening News, Sport and Obituaries Tuesday May 25th Pinterest Facebook Man arrested on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences in Derry last_img read more

Internationally recognised wellness counsellor is selling her Hamilton home

first_img12 Whyenbah St, Hamilton.SATISH and Yildiz Sethi are selling up their massive Hamilton home.Yildiz Sethi is an internationally renowned author and wellness counsellor who also runs her business out of the property at 12 Whyenbah St. More from newsFor under $10m you can buy a luxurious home with a two-lane bowling alley5 Apr 2017Military and railway history come together on bush block24 Apr 201912 Whyenbah St, Hamilton.The five-bedroom home, which is listed through Ian Walkley of Place – Coorparoo will be auctioned on April 29 at 12 noon.It has views of the river and back toward the Brisbane CBD. The house has two kitchens and large family and living areas across three levels.The master bedroom is on the top level of the home and has its own private balcony.Ms Sethi said they had decided to sell just to live in a different location. Yildiz Sethi is selling her Hamilton home.She said they had loved the area with the home on the hill and overlooking the river.last_img read more

Kyeremeh voted onto Emergency Committee

first_imgMr. Emmanuel Kyeremeh, the Berekum Chelsea chairman, was voted onto the Emergency Committee of the GFA to replace Fred Crentsil on Tuesday.Kyeremeh defeated Adam Munkaila in the election by grabbing 13 of the 18 votes.He takes over from Crentsil who was named as the vice president of the GFA earlier in the day.Kyeremeh comes in with his rich experience in the banking industry and an accomplished accountant.Kyeremeh, who led the young Chelsea team to qualify for the 2012 Champions League after just eight years of existence, says he will use his experience to further boost the game in Ghana.“I am already familiar with the way the game is run in this country and in this position I will be able to use my experience in football administration to further improve the game of football in Ghana,” Kyeremeh said.“Football administration in Ghana has many experienced people and I will join them with my experience and expertise to continue to develop the game.”He is the general manager of NDK Financial Services, one of the respected banking organizations in the country.last_img read more

3 problems Barça boss Ernesto Valverde must resolve before it’s too late

first_imgAdvertisement cc8NBA Finals | Brooklyn Vsp8ykbWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre Esza( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) n29ck5Would you ever consider trying this?😱3jn5Can your students do this? 🌚4izcvdRoller skating! Powered by Firework A decade ago, the Camp Nou saw Pep Guardiola drive his boyhood club to two Champions League trophies in three years with a string of players from La Masia. But unfortunately, nothing is immortal and those golden days were over before long. After Pep left the club in 2012, the board members were in a dire situation; should they go for big names to succeed him or should they find someone who can fit in easily with the style Barça plays. The board chose the latter and Tito Vilanova, Tata Martino, Luis Enrique and Ernesto Valverde was chosen since then; all just to answer the simple question, “Why aren’t Barcelona playing like they used to?”Advertisement Image Courtesy: Getty ImagesCurrent situationThe two previous seasons under Valverde’s reign, saw Barça, bottle crucial Champions League games away from home. To deal with those crises the club bought French striker Antoine Griezmann to sharpen the attack and Frenkie de Jong to orchestrate the midfield along with Arthur and Ivan Rakitic. But for the time being, the manager has angered the fans with a poor start to the season with 4 losses already. After salvaging a 0-0 draw against Slavia Prague at home in the Champions League, life’s getting hard for Ernesto Valverde.Advertisement Image Courtesy: Getty ImagesWhile some of the board members are on Valverde’s side, reports claim, that several other members are quite concerned with how things are going and Valverde can be shown the door soon if results do not take off . Club president Josep Maria Bartomeu however, has been backing Valverde since last season, and remains rigid on his no “rash decisions,” stance.Even, the atmosphere inside the dressing room is said to have soured as well, with a lot of muscular injuries, questions have been raised about of the technical staffs. But most importantly, there are serious doubts regarding tactical choices Mundo Deportivo claim.Advertisement Valverde however, responded by saying all criticisms of the team should be done in private. But the Barça boss is unhappy with his team’s performances and must find a solution before things become any worse. Right now, the former Barça  player has three big issues to resolve.Fragile defenceEven though Barça have a world-class shot-stopper at their disposal, the defenders can’t press back as a unit and opponents are reaching Barça’s 6-yard box without any problems. Due to this lack of organisation and the failed press, it creates a lot of space for the opposition to exploit.There’s also problem with the defensive pairing. Gerard Pique and Clement Lenglet have played all four matches in Europe while Samuel Umtiti appeared just twice the whole season same as Jean-Claire Todibo, whilst Ronald Araujo from Barça B was sent off not long into his debut. As for the full backs, Sergi Roberto is now in midfield thus Nelson Semedo and Jordi Alba have been handed more game-time  and newcomer Junior Firpo has been handed only a few minutes so far despite his wonderful display against Getafe. Clearly, there’s a lack of confidence between the coach and his players.Image Courtesy: AFPConfused midfieldYes, Barça aren’t the same anymore, they have lost their rhythm while in possession. The midfielders brought in since Xavi left, merely left their mark. The team was once known for suffocating their opponents in possession but those days are gone.In comes De Jong, with plenty of illusion, desire and courage to fulfill the gaping midfield and worthily the Dutch youngster has proved himself with his impeccable passes, first touch and vision, but he’s still yet to find his best role in the team as the coach is using him as a central mid than his usual defensive mid place, with Sergio Busquets who is no longer a starter, Valverde must rotate him more to keep him fresh for those March-April fixtures.The rest of the midfielders are equally as irregular. Arthur enjoys his moments but Valverde has demanded more hard-work from him in defence. Arturo Vidal plays the role of a box-to-box midfielder and Croat Ivan Rakitic is clearly getting the signs that his time at the Camp Nou is up with very limited minutes.La Masia prospects, Aleña or Riqui Puig could add more ‘Barça DNA’ to the team only if Valverde wishes so. But, as of now, it appears he’ll stick with what he knows best.Image Courtesy: UEFADisconnected attack:Barça have spent 345 million for Dembélé, Coutinho and Griezmann and none of them have produced anything fruitful so far. The club hasn’t recovered from the loss of Neymar and Coutinho has been already sent out on loan to Bayern Munich just one and half seasons later. The injury-prone Dembele hasn’t found his rhythm whilst Griezmann is still struggling to find his place in the team. Luis Suárez is in the twilight of his career and still doesn’t have a natural replacement. The Uruguayan and his fitness issues are becoming more of a concern to the club.Image Courtesy: FCBarcelonaBut there’s always one Lionel Messi. La Pulga is scoring every now and then but if he has an off day, the team struggles for creativity. The only other positive has been the arrival of Ansu Fati in the scene. The recently-turned 17-year old takes on his opponent easily and can score goals as well; and if nurtured properly he has the ability to take the world by a storm.With Messi’s hattrick against Celta at home yesterday, it’s safe to say, Ernesto Valverde’s job remains safe, for now. But the million-dollar question is, “For how long?”“I’m not worried about my future. The other day I had dinner [with Bartomeu]. I feel supported and respected. Whether you understand [the criticism] or not, it’s how it is. I don’t have much to say” he replies.Video Credit: ESPNFC, GOLAZOTVRead more:The future looks bleak for Ousmane Dembele at BarcelonaWatch : 16 year old Ansu Fati tears it up against Valencia in a 5-2 rout for BarcelonaDe Jong doesn’t want Xavi, Iniesta comparisons  Advertisementlast_img read more